Franklin County boasts a unique topography, offering towering mountains, expansive forestlands, and more lakes, rivers and streams than any other region in the Adirondacks. And, once the snow falls and the temperature plummets, backcountry routes become the stuff of snowmobilers’ dreams.
Sustained, abundant snowfall throughout the winter, coupled with dedicated crews from regional snowmobile clubs who maintain the Adirondacks’ trail systems, make Franklin County a must-sled destination for snowmobilers.
Interconnected routes bridge the Canadian trail network with Adirondack Trails North to offer more than 250 miles of trails, most of which are maintained through the dedicated efforts of Franklin Snowmobilers, Inc. Request a free sled map of the Adirondacks on visitadirondacks.com/brochures/free-sled-map and hit the trail sledding.
Overnight, sled-friendly lodging options run the gamut in the Adirondack Lakes Region, from rustic camps to classic sporting lodges and trailside motels and hotels. Some of our properties even offer dining options within easy sledding distance, where snowmobiles outnumber cars in the parking lot!
Explore the beauty of the Adirondacks’ snowmobile trials this winter for an adventure that offers the freedom of the trail and a winter wonderland of opportunity.
Top Places to Go Snowmobiling in Franklin County
Franklin Snowmobilers Inc., based in Lake Clear, maintains the major trail corridors in the Adirondack Lakes Region, North from Tupper Lake to Malone, East to Lyon Mountain and West to Deer Valley Trails, connecting to trails in the Adirondack Seaway Region of St. Lawrence County.
Along Corridor 7, the main snowmobiling artery through Franklin County, the Adirondacks Lake Region offers dining, lodging and attractions close to trail networks for overnight guests and day trippers.
The Malone area is home to Corridor 7 trails including the Beaver Lodge Trail, Buck Pond and Wolf Pond Road, all of which are groomed and connected to other Adirondack snowmobiling trails. Sled into Belly’s Mountain View Inn on Wolf Pond Road in Mountain View for a hot meal at the end – or beginning – of your ride.
In St. Regis Falls, about 30 miles south of Malone, Deer Valley Trails offers rustic cabins for lodging, gas service, and dining in the bar and restaurant.
Places to eat around Malone:
- Mo’s Pub & Grill – 3357 State Route 11, Malone, NY 12953
- Akwesasne Mohawk Casino – Route 37 Akwesasne, NY 12655
- Bear’s Den Restaurant – 425 State Route 36, Hogansburg, NY 13655
Places to stay around Malone:
- Holiday Inn Express and Suites – 335 State Route 11, Malone, NY 12953
- Comfort Inn & Suites – 865 State Route 37, Hogansburg, NY 13655
- Four Seasons Motel – Route 11 W. Main Street, Malone, NY 12953
Places to eat in Tupper Lake:
- Little Italy Pizzeria – 146 Park Street, Tupper Lake, NY
- The Marketplace Pub and Deli – 2494 Tupper-Saranac Highway Tupper Lake, NY
- Smoking Horseshoe BBQ – 284 Park Street, Tupper Lake, NY
- Lumberjack Inn Restaurant – 76 Main Street, Tupper Lake, NY
Places to stay in Tupper Lake:
- Sunset Park Motel – 71 Demars Boulevard, Tupper Lake, NY 12986
- Northwood Cabins – 2775 New York Route 30, Tupper Lake, NY 12986
- Tupper Lake Motel – 255 Park Street, Tupper Lake, NY 12986
Charlie’s Inn & Junction Campground is located in Lake Clear just off of Corridor 7, connecting to more than 300 groomed Adirondack snowmobile trails. Stay at Charlie’s for classic Adirondack lodging, great dining at the bar and restaurant, gas service, and free sled parking.
Places to eat around Saranac Lake:
- Little Italy Pizzeria – 27 Main Street, Saranac Lake, NY 12983
- Charlie’s Inn – 44 Junction Road, Lake Clear, NY 12945
- Eat ‘n Meet Grill and Larder – 139 Broadway, Saranac Lake, NY 12983
- Captain Cooks Bar and Grill – 65 Broadway, Saranac Lake, NY 12983
Places to stay around Saranac Lake:
- Adirondack Motel – 248 Lake Flower Avenue, Saranac Lake, NY 12983
- Best Western Mountain Lake Inn – 487 Lake Flower Avenue, Saranac Lake, NY 12983
- Turner’s Cottages – 4854 State Route 3, Saranac Lake, NY 12983
- Hohmeyer’s Lake Clear Lodge – 6319 State Route 30, Lake Clear, NY 12945