12,000 years ago, at the time of the last Adirondack glacial retreat, extremely cold tolerant fish species began feeding and thriving at the edge of the receding glaciers. The Windfall Brook Trout strain developed as a result of unique environmental conditions found solely in Franklin County.
Over the centuries, the wild Windfall Brook Trout has evolved to become every serious angling enthusiast's prize catch. Since the turn of the century, the Windfall Brook Trout has been coveted for its tenacious fighting ability, brilliant color and large sizes, some reaching over three pounds and approximately twenty inches in length.
Planning Your Adirondack Fishing Trip
Adirondack Fishing Packages: Complete packages including fishing guides, Adirondack lodging and meals.
FREE Adirondack Fishing E-Brochure
Download your FREE Adirondack Fishing guide with information on the species you can catch and maps showing where to find them.
- Cold Brook Farm - 518-891-3585
- Fisherman's Paradise - 518-497-6711
- Hinchinbrooke Fish Hatchery - 518-497-6505
- Restful Ponds - 518-425-3361
- Smooth Flow Ponds - 518-483-7561
- Springbrook Farm - 518-425-6879
Local Fishing Tips
Bobby Helms of Tame the Trout Charters gives his tips for fishing in the Adirondacks, including:
- Go-to lures to catch elusive Adirondack fish
- Best lakes and waterways for fishing
- Where to relax after a day of fishing in the Adirondacks
Read the entire piece here: Local Adirondack Fishing Tips.